Technical due diligence on AI companies
You may be considering making an investment in a startup that claims to use machine learning/AI and would like an impartial assessment of their technology. We can perform an evaluation of a company’s technology stack. This should be done in tandem with a traditional due diligence exercise. You can download our AI due diligence checklist.
Some of the points we will look at include:
- is the product a real product and capable of being sold as is, or just a demo?
- how viable and scalable is the technology long term?
- where will the data for the AI come from? If from users, then does the product suffer from the cold start problem?
- can the product scale in the real world?
- how reproducible is the product?
- how sustainable are the development workflows?
- are code and models documented and under version control?
- are the founders’ credentials and experience valid and as claimed?
- is there any crucial employee, or exceptionally talented employee on whom the business depends?
- is the team well-balanced with complementary experience, or have the founders recruited individuals with the same profile?